Saturday, December 15, 2007

Eggplant Chili

I'm in Bowie, MD.
Our good friends Sandy and Payter were due to add a 4th to their brood. I was honored to be invited to stay with them for a couple of weeks and be the extra set of hands in the household. I provided the same service for sibling #3, three years ago. #3 was a few days late, but #4 was more than a week late. In both cases, I made homemade eggplant chili for Sandy, and labor began a few hours later.
We had heard a radio piece about an Indian restaurant that was famous for kick-starting labor with its spicy eggplant dishes. They included cushy chairs for Momma, and a 36 hour labor begins or your money back guarantee on dinner. Apparently due to the womb-like shape of an eggplant, it has long been associated with labor inducing qualities.
I'm not a shabby cook, so I took on the challenge. Now that I'm 2 for 2, I figure I should share the recipe.


Eggplant Chili

(You'll need a large pot with a good-fitting lid)

5 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Saute Garlic in olive oil.

4 to 5 cups diced eggplant (3/4 inch cubes)
Add to oil and garlic. Add a half cup of water and steam (put the lid on), while opening cans.

3 cans tomato sauce
1 large can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1.5 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp granulated garlic
1 half teaspoon of oregano
Add all of these to the pot, and simmer for about an hour.

1 box, or half a bag of frozen spinach.
Add to pot, and cook until spinach is warmed through.

Salt and Pepper to taste.


We served it over long grain brown rice.

Truth be told, it was better the second day ... and I never really measure any spices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home